The "Cathederal of the Channel Islands".
Until the mid-18th century, when the first harbour at Braye was built, almost the entire population of Alderney lived in the town, developed from the original ‘nucleated village’ settlement in a hollow around the Bourgage and the old church.
The current church is located in the centre of St. Anne and surrounded by a well cared-for churchyard.
The church of St Anne, consecrated in 1850 and built to the design of Mr George Gilbert Scott, is acknowledged to be one of the finest Victorian buildings in the Channel Islands. Scott was one of the most prolific architects of the 19th century and apart from a considerable amount of restoration work on ecclesiastical buildings, including Westminster Abbey, he was also responsible for the Albert Memorial in London (recently restored), the Foreign Office and the St Pancras Station Hotel.
The church is often referred to as ‘the cathedral church of the Channel Islands’ because of its size but the original intention was that it should serve not only as a parish church for the island but also as the garrison church for the military stationed here in the mid 19th century; a time when the island was being heavily fortified against any potential threat of invasion by France, only a few miles away.
Alderney Wildlife Trust in co-operation with the Alderney Society organises town walks, history and heritage tours. The schedule for these is dependent upon demand so please call 01481 822935 for details.