Completed in 1854, Doyle’s Battery is the smallest fort on the island and originally
accommodated four guns with barracks for 22 men, officers’ quarters, cookhouse, magazine
and artillery stores. During the Occupation, two anti-tank gun bunkers were constructed
along with bunkers for tank turrets, mortars, machine guns and personnel in what was
known to the Germans as Resistance Nest Dohlenfeste.