This massive MP3 concrete tower was built by forced labourers under the German occupying power in 1943. Originally, it was intended as a naval range-finding position to observe enemy ships and was to be part of a network with five other similar towers placed around the island. The rounded front section was for observation and the rear section for accommodation and target plotting.
Newly reopened to the public there are 4 floors to explore with information boards. On a clear day, the observation levels, one of which has a telescope, offers amazing views to France.
Open daily: 10am-4pm, admission free.
CAUTION: Please be aware that the Odeon is on a cliff edge. There are sheer drops and children should be closely supervised at all times.
ACCESS: We regret that the Odeon is not accessible to wheelchairs. The tower has steps, steep staircases and uneven surfaces which those with restricted mobility or impaired vision might find difficult.
If you catch the 2pm train from Braye Station there's plenty of time to visit the Odeon before catching the return train at 4.15pm
The train runs Saturdays only May to October (also Sundays in July and August).
You may also like
Located near Longis Bay, the Roman fort is the best preserved small Roman fort in Western Europe and is the first evidence of military construction on the island. Open daily 10-4.30Find out more »
Alderney has the only working railway in the Channel Islands. Built in the 1840's, the railway now provides entertainment for train enthusiasts and families.Find out more »
The Lighthouse was built in 1912. At 32m high the lighthouse tower, painted white with a black band is a prominent island landmark.Find out more »
Completed in 1854, Doyle’s Battery is the smallest Victorian fort on the island. Open daily from 10-4. Free.Find out more »
War Years Films
Three part documentary series which captures the stories of the people through the evacuation, occupation and homecoming to Alderney in their own words.Find out more »