Alderney is the Channel Island nearer to the French coast, and surrounded by two strong currents: the Swinge and the Alderney Race. Located at the eastern end, Mannez Lighthouse has watched over sailors trying to challenge the tumultuous waters of Alderney since 1912.
The Lighthouse was built after a large boat, the SS Liverpool, ran aground in the adjacent Cats Bay. At 32m high the lighthouse tower was painted white with a black band to make it more visible to shipping during the hours of daylight, this has make it a prominent island landmark.
The former keepers' dwellings adjoin the tower, there was a resident lighthouse keeper until as recently as 1996. However the lighthouse now has LED lights with a range of 12NM, this is controlled from Trinity House in Harwich in the UK.
Lighthouse Character: 4 white flashes every 15 seconds
You may also like
This MP3 five-story naval range finding tower, known as 'The Odeon' is a fine example of the concrete bunkers built by the German forces during WWII. Open daily 10-4Find out more »
Located near Longis Bay, the Roman fort is the best preserved small Roman fort in Western Europe and is the first evidence of military construction on the island. Open daily 10-4.30Find out more »
Cambridge Battery and Battery n.3 are both part of Fort Tourgis. They are an excellent example of how Alderney's original Victorian fortifications were utilised during WWII.Find out more »
This is the site of some of the best-preserved German defenses in the Channel Islands and offers a remarkable insight into the fortification of the island.Find out more »
The award winning museum provides history of the island from the pre-historic period to the present day and hosts lectures by many knowledgeable speakers.Find out more »
Alderney has the only working railway in the Channel Islands. Built in the 1840's, the railway now provides entertainment for train enthusiasts and families.Find out more »
St Anne's Church
The church of St Anne, consecrated in 1850 and built to the design of Scott, is acknowledged to be one of the finest Victorian buildings in the Channel Islands.Find out more »