The 'Russian Cemetery' at Longis was the principal burial ground for foreign workers in Alderney, for which records were kept by the Organisation Todt (OT).
381 bodies were exhumed in 1961 by the German War Graves Commission, most of
whom were removed to the ossuary at Mont des Huisnes.
Some German death and burial certificates survive in connection with these exhumations, but the final number of deaths in Alderney will never be known and remains a continuing cause for speculation.
You may also like
A huge naval range-finding tower, built with the purpose of directing artillery fire from the island’s heavy gun batteries onto multiple naval targets.Find out more »
War Years Films
Three part documentary series which captures the stories of the people through the evacuation, occupation and homecoming to Alderney in their own words.Find out more »
The award winning museum provides history of the island from the pre-historic period to the present day and hosts lectures by many knowledgeable speakers.Find out more »
Located near Longis Bay, the Roman fort is the best preserved small Roman fort in Western Europe and is the first evidence of military construction on the island. Open daily 10-4.30Find out more »
One of the four WWII German forced labour camps on Alderney which was also occupied by the Schutzstaffel (SS) for fifteen months from March 1943 to June 1944.Find out more »
Hammond War Memorial
This memorial was built by local residents on their return to the island after WWII to commemorate the many labourers who lost their lives on Alderney.Find out more »
Longis Anti-Tank Wall
This long curving concrete anti-tank wall was built by forced labour under the German forces to prevent an amphibious assault by Allied forces.Find out more »