This gigantic curving concrete anti-tank wall was built on the sand dunes by forced labour under the German forces to prevent an amphibious assault by Allied forces on the open sandy beach.
Six metres high, it’s protuding upper lip would have made climbing over a real challenge.
There are several positions also incorporated into the wall for anti-tank guns.
You may also like
This MP3 five-story naval range finding tower, known as 'The Odeon' is a fine example of the concrete bunkers built by the German forces during WWII. Open daily 10-4Find out more »
Cambridge Battery and Battery n.3 are both part of Fort Tourgis. They are an excellent example of how Alderney's original Victorian fortifications were utilised during WWII.Find out more »
Located near Longis Bay, the Roman fort is the best preserved small Roman fort in Western Europe and is the first evidence of military construction on the island. Open daily 10-4.30Find out more »
One of the four WWII German forced labour camps on Alderney which was also occupied by the Schutzstaffel (SS) for fifteen months from March 1943 to June 1944.Find out more »
Longis 'Russian Cemetery'
The 'Russian Cemetery' at Longis was the principal burial ground for foreign workers in WWII.Find out more »
Fort Tourgis Batteries
Cambridge Battery and Battery No.3 of Fort Tourgis are excellent examples of how the island's Victorian forts were utilised by the Germans in WWII.Find out more »