As with many of the island’s British Victorian fortifications, the Germans utilised Fort Tourgis.
Fort Tourgis was one of the fifteen surviving Victorian British forts of the 1850s that was strengthened by the Germans, with the addition of three 2cm anti-aircraft gun positions and two 10.5cm coast defence gun bunkers.
Aerial view of Fort Tourgis by Alan Perks
Following extensive clearance and conservation work the Cambridge Battery and the Battery No. 3 (part of the northern defences of Fort Tourgis) are open to the public with information boards to illustrate how the original Victorian fortifications were utilised by the Germans.
Always open to the public, a torch is advisable.
You may also like
Situated on the Giffoine at the western end of the island overlooking high cliffs, this naval coastal artillery battery had four large guns with a range of 22km.Find out more »
One of the four WWII German forced labour camps on Alderney which was also occupied by the Schutzstaffel (SS) for fifteen months from March 1943 to June 1944.Find out more »
Longis 'Russian Cemetery'
The 'Russian Cemetery' at Longis was the principal burial ground for foreign workers in WWII.Find out more »
631b Anti-Tank Bunker
This bunker was armed with a powerful 4.7 cm anti-tank gun angled to bring devastating fire along Longis beach.Find out more »
This is the site of some of the best-preserved WWII German defences in the Channel Islands and offers a remarkable insight into the fortification of the island.Find out more »