On 23 June 1940 at 6am, the church bells rang to notify the 1500 islanders that six Royal Navy ships were approaching Braye Harbour to evacuate them to the mainland, with only hours to gather their belongings and assemble.
They were not able to return to Alderney for over five years.
The plaque at the Court House are the words of a notice pinned to the Court House on 22 June 1940 by Judge French to notify islanders.
Get in contact
Address:Court House, QEII Street
You may also like
Fort Tourgis Batteries
Cambridge Battery and Battery No.3 of Fort Tourgis are excellent examples of how the island's Victorian forts were utilised by the Germans in WWII.Find out more »
Longis 'Russian Cemetery'
The 'Russian Cemetery' at Longis was the principal burial ground for foreign workers in WWII.Find out more »
Longis Anti-Tank Wall
This long curving concrete anti-tank wall was built by forced labour under the German forces to prevent an amphibious assault by Allied forces.Find out more »
Sapper Onions Grave
The only British war grave on the Island; Sapper G E Onions, of the Royal Engineers, was killed during German mine clearance in June 1945. He died aged 22.Find out more »
631b Anti-Tank Bunker
This bunker was armed with a powerful 4.7 cm anti-tank gun angled to bring devastating fire along Longis beach.Find out more »