Lager Helgoland was one of the four German forced labour camps on Alderney during WWII.
This Organisation Todt (OT) camp has been largely overbuilt by modern housing, leaving only the remains of two entrance gate posts to the compound.
Built in early 1942, it could house up to 1,500 workers who were engaged in the construction of the island's coastal defences. Considerable numbers of Soviet prisoners of war made up the bulk of the work force from late 1942 until the camp was the first to be abandoned at the end of 1943.
Survivor testimonies bear witness to the brutality and desperate conditions which existed in this camp. Lack of proper medical facilities and poor diet contributed to the recorded deaths.